Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Pete's Apizza - Columbia Heights

I usually try to stop by here whenever I'm shopping at either the Best Buy and the Target across the street. It is one of the few places that serves individual slices of pizza without feeling the need to jumbo-size them, which I certainly appreciate. The crust is crispy, but also has an interesting, chewy texture once you bite through it. I do find the tomato sauce a bit problematic: it can taste a little tinny and bright for my taste. But, then again, I usually order the white clam pizza anyway, which is delicious. While Pete's claims that it slings New Haven pies, it doesn't. And you know what? That's a good thing. They are quite content to be themselves without trying to blindly copy Sally's or Frank Pepe's. Sure, they put some clams on their pie, but they don't obsess about all of the details and they just focus on producing as good of a pie as they know how. It's quite refreshing to see that. And if they are going to aspire to serve a New whatever product, I'm glad they chose New Haven rather than New York. (Seriously, serving Boars Head turkey on a kaiser roll does not make you a New York deli and anything Jumbo Sized automatically disqualifies you as a New York pizza.)

Unfortunately, I have not tried the pastas, sandwiches, or salads, though I hear they are well made. I do like that their fountain dispenses Boylan Soda, rather than the de rigueur choice of either Coca Cola or Pepsi products, just another little detail to distinguish themselves from the crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment